Sunday, March 12, 2017

Trimming Socks

#4 in 25 Motif Challenge of 2017
sock trim
Pink and White - 2 strands of DMC embroidery floss
Turquoise - 2 strands of vintage J&P Coats

I've been working sporadically on several different projects. This one is a special request for my granddaughter's 2nd birthday. She will wear them with this dress. Sock one is finished. Now to get busy on its partner. 

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Another UFO Completed


 #3 in 25 Motif Challenge of 2017

This lovely seahorse is testimony that you can make lots of mistakes in a pattern and still have a nice outcome. Do follow the link to view Jane's wonderful pattern as it should have been tatted. Rings and beads are missing from mine, but I really enjoyed completing it. 

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Finishing Unfinished Objects

Victorian Heart
(Designer: Kim Goetz, Victorian Hearts and Flowers magazine by Better Homes and Gardens - 1995)
#2 in 25 Motif Challenge of 2017
size 16 Finca perle cotton

Let me start by apologizing that these haven't been blocked or pressed yet. I've put this post off all week, planning to get that done first. I finally decided it was better to let you see them as they are than to have you wondering what happened to me again.

I'm still struggling to focus on anything for very long, so I've been sorting my UFOs and working on those that didn't need much to finish them up. Many of those in this picture just needed the ends hidden. I used to have a tendency to postpone that for as long as possible. Now I tend to have fewer to deal with and I make myself handle them as I go so there aren't a large number to deal with at the end.

You'll recognize the cross and the snowflake as items I've blogged about in the past few months. I've no idea where the red object came from. Was it the beginning of something larger? No clue. I had no notes with it. The teal and pink one is a design I played with that begins with the Valeire square (see my pattern page). Only the heart required any tatting. It was a little more than half finished. It's a lovely pattern I've used often. My own notes are a hand drawn diagram I made from the original text pattern. I'm sorry I can't give you the source. I was much less concerned with that kind of thing back then--many, many years ago, when I understood nothing about copyrights and the courtesy of acknowledging sources and designers. I do love the pattern and I've used it often. In sewing machine thread, it makes the daintiest earrings.

Now I'm going to go enjoy a lovely Sunday afternoon nap. Happy tatting, everyone!





Saturday, February 11, 2017

Jane's TIAS 2017

#1 of 25 Motif Challenge 2017

Many thanks to Jane Eborall and muskaan for the encouragement to tat this lovely lady. I've been sick for several months with breathing difficulties which escalated to the point that I have found it difficult to do anything at all some days. It looks like recovery is going to be very slow so I've been taking advantage of good moments to implement some things that will make it easier to participate with the much-missed tatting community from the wi-fi of my iPad instead of having to sit at my computer. Today's blog post is testing some of them. 

I'm using BlogGo to read your blogs and write this post. I haven't found a way to import my reading list, so I'm forced to add your blogs one at a time. I have lots more to add to my feed, but I shall get you all in there in time. 

My other new tool is Font Candy. I used it to edit the camera image above. At the moment, I'm finding all of the ads and self-promotion frustrating, but the features seem promising. I'll have to play with it a bit more, but it's full feature price of $2.99 will be a good investment if I can get the end result I'm looking for.  

I apologize if my post sounds like advertising today. That certainly isn't my intention. I'm hoping that some of you who use your iPads similarly will share your experiences and recommendations, too. I may not be the only one of us looking for such resources. 

I've really missed all of you!
Happy tatting,
Eliz



 

Thursday, January 19, 2017

The Old and the New

It's been ages, too, since I've posted on my blog so I thought I'd update you with the last of the old and the start of the new. 
The OLD: I promised you more pictures of the burlap ornaments I made using the snowflakes I tatted from 24 Snowflakes in Tatting by Lene Bjorn. While you can't see all of them plainly in this picture, you've seen all of the snowflakes before if you followed my blog last year. There were seven ornaments in all and my daughter loved each one. If you'd like more details about how I made the ornaments, please see my December post.
The NEW: I didn't get any tatting done for several weeks which actually left me struggling to find the motivation to pick up my shuttles again. I'm sure it was partly the winter blahs and partly that it is a very busy time of year for me so that finding time to tat is a real challenge. However, Jane Eborall's TIAS 2017 is perfect for getting back in the groove. I've enjoyed the switch to tatting with Lizbeth Jelly Bean after so many white snowflakes, too. Still no clue, though, as to what we are tatting, but that's a big part of the fun. It isn't too late to pick up your shuttles or tatting needles and join the fun.

I was rocking along quite well with the Craftree Snowflake challenge last year until November. I finished the year with both the Nineteenth of December and the Twentieth of December in progress. The challenge was lots of fun and I'm committed to finishing the remaining snowflakes in this book as well as the Renulek doily I started last year. Then there are all of the great ideas that keep popping up in your blogs! Obviously, I have plenty to tat in 2017.

Til later,
Eliz aka Tatknot